I love love love the Mediterranean way of eating! I was in Greece some time ago and it was fantastic, the food was so fresh and the quality spectacular. There is nothing like Greek food- feta cheese, fruit with cheese, olive oil, fish and vegetables made with olive oil or filled with meats and spices. It’s one of my favorite ways to eat and one that I think is very healthy as long as you don’t take it to the extreme, of course but, that’s like anything – moderation is key.
There are so many studies out now that has showed to follow this type of eating style will help with a variety of health related issues such as; heart and mental health, prevention of cancers, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease as well as, yup, you guessed it, weight loss!! Imagine all of these benefits with such yummy foods?!! Your meals shouldn’t be boring or dull (unless you have a specific ailment or disease that you are healing with foods) but rather they should be fun and enjoyable. The following are some things you can do to adopt this type of diet if you are looking for something new to try.
1. Eat fresh wild caught fish/seafood as much as possible
2. Eat fresh foods that are locally grown, organic when available if in the U.S. and produced with minimal processing.
3. Consume grass fed red meats in moderation
4. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables!
5. Eat fresh fruits for your desserts most of the time perhaps with a bit of honey drizzled on it.
6. Use olive oil as your main source of added fat
7. Drink plenty of water
8. Consume dairy products daily, mostly yogurt and cheese (the real thing in the raw if possible and not some kind of low fat fake crap!)
8. Be physically active
There you have it! Enjoy and good luck!!! 🙂