I have to say, there are so many benefits to exercising daily. If I have to choose the best reasons to try and motivate you to exercise though – definitely keep reading for my top 6 benefits of exercise. Especially, if you’re one of the many who just aren’t sure if the discomfort and pain are worth it. Let me tell you – it is so worth it!
In my line of work it’s very common to hear the complaints from people about wanting to get in better shape, lose weight, gain muscle, have more energy, sleep better, feel better, pain relief, and more. The follow through is sorely lacking but the complaints are endless.
Reaching your fitness goals takes self-awareness and integrity of self. What do I mean by that? Well, it’s being honest and realistic about your goals but also valuing yourself to not self sabotage. The 6 benefits of exercise have less to do with how you think you’ll look physically after a few weeks and more to do with your health overall.
Being healthy in mind/body/spirit comes from knowing yourself – knowing who you are and what your personal strengths and weaknesses. For example, I know that I don’t like to make plans too far in advance. Whether it is for an appointment, an outing with a friend, or a meeting. It is a strength in that I can be very flexible and spontaneous but a weakness for those friends who want to make certain plans with me. I also like to keep my word so I usually just say maybe. If I say I’m going to do something I will typically do it. Of course, I’m not perfect. At times I have pulled out of something I committed to but, I try. This is an example of knowing yourself and holding yourself to that higher standard. The same can be said for your health and fitness goals.
If your goal is to get fit or healthier overall then you start by implementing the 6 benefits to exercise along with the other healthy lifestyle habits. You include this into your daily or weekly routine and make it a habit for life not, just for an event. Think long-term success.
If your goal is to lose weight or have more energy you also start with the 6 benefits to exercise and incorporate healthy habits. Some important ones to also keep in mind are; keeping your portion sizes small, eat more fruits and vegetables, less processed or canned foods, and positive self talk. Oh and of course, drinking at least 1.5-2 liters of good quality of water between meals helps the fluidity of the fascia and digestion.
Keep in mind that creating healthy habits such as exercising, eating good quality foods, drinking more water are all forms of self love. This is key to long lasting results. When you set a goal for someone else or for a reason that is superficial you’ll fail, and end up miserable wondering what the point is anyway.
When you love yourself and have a higher sense of self-worth from within you will start to do the things that reflect that including exercising, eating right, sleeping better, and being happier overall. It’s not about material things, not about money, or, changing how you look to please someone else. If your purpose for improving your health is to live your higher purpose and best self, the results will be everlasting.
If your goal is to simply look better physically for an event in 2 week or to gain the acceptance of someone else it won’t last. It is fleeting. Short-term solutions ultimately lead to feelings of guilt, shame and depression when your attempts fail long-term.
The 6 benefits of exercise do not give you the imagined perfect physical body you may idealize in your head. It’s not real. You will decrease your bodyfat and possibly go down a size but that all depends on a myriad of factors.
1. STRESS RELIEF – crazy day with screaming kids or all day business meetings – the right kind of exercise program can decrease stress thereby making you feel better and able to cope.
2. INCREASES ENDORPHINS – makes you feel happier – some studies indicate that exercise has better affect than anti-depressants on managing your depression.
3. INCREASES CONFIDENCE – if you consistently feel bad about yourself and question everything you do exercise can help you to be more confident with your daily decisions.
4. INCREASES COGNITIVE ACTIVITY – getting older doesn’t have to be all bad, exercise can actually increase your cognitive abilities as you age.
5. DECREASE ANXIETY – I know people who are on anti-anxiety medications and still have bad anxiety. Exercise helps better than the medication.
6. INCREASES CREATIVITY – I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to the gym or hiked up a mountain, and come out of it with new creative ideas for my business. It can boost creativity for up to 2 hours afterwards. Just imagine what you could come up with for your own business or family life!
Those are my top 6 benefits to exercise. No mention of getting 6 pack abs or a J Lo booty. We have become a society that overly values superficial things including, peoples’ physical appearance. We’ve forgotten that we are not simply bodies but are spiritual beings. To solely focus on how you look physically will lead to misery and depression. As well as wasted money on painful plastic surgeries. Embrace your strengths and be a more powerful you. Create a better outlook and exercise for the love of movement and the 6 benefits of exercise I mentioned above. These will last a lifetime.